Saturday, April 16, 2016

GIS 4930 - Further Adventures in Web Mapping

After completing the practice work with maps for Pensacola, this module moves on to doing similar work for my own particular study area - Providence, Rhode Island.

After creating an analysis of food deserts within the municipal boundaries of Providence, I created web tiles that showed the census tracts for Providence that I had determined were food deserts as well as another tileset for grocery stores in the area. I used the site mapbox.com to store tiles I created using Tilemill. This proved to be especially challenging as mapbox has undergone some updates recently and the instructions I had were out of date. However, I perservered and was able to get my data up and available. I did have to find a new set of code examples for my map page, though, before I could serve my data online. I'm quite excited at what these tools offer, although it would be good if APIs were less subject to radical change.

The image below is a simple screenshot showing my tiles appearing in a web browser.

Screenshot of Providence food deserts

No comments:

Post a Comment